Friday, January 08, 2010

Marriage.... STAY!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes marriage sucks! It's not always flowers and candy and pink floaty hearts. Oh, sure, it is on TV, in romantic novels, and chick flicks. But in real life???? Well, it can be lots of guts with little glory.

So... what do you do when your marriage is not what you'd hoped? Or worse, is one that seems like a bad dream you can't wake up from?

An email I got this week had me praying very hard... this is what I felt led to share with the very sad wife (I'm putting it on this post -- minus her name, of course -- in case any of you are struggling to stay in your marriage, also.)

Our very lesson in Bible study this week is on Mark 10... it begins with issues of divorce. (You could read this.)

I am sad over all your findings and how this marriage has been so hard for you. Life can sure be full of problems!!!!!!!!!! And heartache!!!!!!!!!

The question is: Will we trust and obey in the center of all the trauma?

Not easy, is it? It never is.  As Elisabeth Elliot used to tell us, "Simple yet difficult."  Making the choice to obey God's word, to trust Him with our whole heart, mind, strength, and soul, is often a very tough decision. A dying to our will and flesh, as we wait out His plan. Ugh. We've both lived this many times. (And, are guaranteed that we will live out this many more till we arrive in heaven.)

Anyhoo, what God says is "Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?" (Jeremiah 32:27.)

...over ALL flesh!  Every human, whether they acknowledge God or not, is under His authority. We are, our husband and kids are, our friends, pastors, enemies. Everyone.

And this God, our God, who is over all flesh asks us if anything is too difficult for Him....
  • Crummy marriage relationships?
  • Overcoming sin and addictions?
  • Changing hearts that are being seduced by the deceitfulness of sin?
  • Love that has gone cold?
  • Discontentment?
  • Heartache?
  • Hope that has gone AWOL?
  • Anything?
Nothing is impossible with God!

Do not cease to pray for the life of your marriage. Now, more than ever, when you know that your husband is searching info about divorce, is the time to up that fervency. Father, do not let the enemy have his way in this marriage! (or, as my version says, "Do not deliver me over to the will of my adversaries.") Glorify Yourself in this marriage and do not let it become just another statistic. Please!!!! In Jesus' name, I pray!

 I know it has been disappointing -- for you and for him -- but I've seen God do miraculous wonders of restoration, healing, restoring, refreshing, and renewing.

Seek Him still! Do not give up! Do not lose courage - but believe and hope in the Living God! He is Mighty God! He is near to the brokenhearted. He heals. "He restores my soul"! He can help you to forgive. He can help you to pray. He can help you to stay!

The LORD sat enthroned at the Flood, and the LORD sits as King forever. The LORD will give strength to His people; the LORD will bless His people with peace.
Psalm 29:10-11

(Read all of Psalm 29.)

For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavillion; In the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me upon a rock.  Psalm 27:5

Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice! Have mercy also upon me, and answer me.  Psalm 27:7

Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the LORD!  Psalm 27:14

I am praying for all you dear Readers, in case even one of you is in this place... Liz

1 comment:

Farm Girl said...

A long time ago, I was that woman, I got on my knees when it dawned on me, my husband didn't love me. My prayer was change him, change him. Then God spoke, so clearly, He told me to shut up!! To listen to what I was saying, so all day I shut up. I had become a dripping, complaining woman. My prayer became Lord, change me, change me, guess what HE did, He restored to me the years the locust had eaten. It will be 30 years this year and better than any dream or chick movie.