Friday, January 15, 2010

I'm Wishing... For the Hobby I Love....




We do not always get what we want in this life (bet you didn't know that lol)!

So, let's not focus on that. Let's turn our attention to what we DO GET in this life....

Philippians 4:8 reminds us/commands us/guides our mental health into dwelling on whatever is true (according to what God's Word says, not our feelings or others' opinions and judgments), honorable, right, pure, lovely, of good repute, excellent or worthy of praise.

If you do not have what you want today, then maybe you'll get it tomorrow ... fiddleeee-deee!

For today, rejoice and be glad. CHOOOOOOOOOSE to look till you find something to be thankful for! Take it from me, the Queen of Dwelling on the HAVE NOTS (as Elisabeth Elliot dubbed them): Dwelling on what you wish for but have not been granted only brings on misery!

And misery begets more misery.

And crankiness.

And unthankfulness.

And just yanks the joy right out of you -- we cannot thrive without JOY! Imagine that plant on your patio that you keep forgetting to water! Without a fresh supply of water, its leaves hang down and sag and turn a yellowish, sallow color (hmmmm... how do I know this????)

But praise is becoming! Praise focuses on God, who really encompasses all of the list in Philippians 4:8, which means  ---- WE CAN DWELL ON GOD AND BE FILLED WITH JOY!  :)

Okay, this was the pep talk I needed this morning (did you?). There are many wishes that the heavenly wand of God's will has not granted in my life. Heck, I have not even been granted the small wish of sitting in my sewing room and whipping out some of my commitments! ugh-o-rama! Oh, I mean, praise God; my times are in His hand (Psalm 31:15)! lol

This is the day the Lord has made - dwell on good stuff, pray for your wishes, wait on the Lord, let your heart take courage!  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderfully lovely post!

Aimee said...

Thanks, I did need that. I have been so richly blessed, so what if I don't have exactly what I wished for when I wished for it. Life is too good for grumpiness!

I love the picture! Looks like you have such a nice sunny room for sewing!

Wife of Rob said...

Well said! And I love that sweet dear Elisabeth Elliott. I have had the incredible pleasure to sit under her teaching twice in my life...and I will NEVER forget either time, nor will I forget hugging her neck. She's an amazing presence!

Many hugs
jen