Thursday, June 25, 2009

Creating Your Own Bias Tape!

Okay, the pictures below are not my best effort, but time is precious today, as my to-do list is miles long...

All I want you to see on the first picture is the vine on this quilt square (the curvy line). To make that vine and have it be uniform in size, I bought a handy-dandy doohicky that takes a 3/4" strip of fabric cut on the bias and turns it into "bias tape". (They have different sizes, so I suppose you'd have to cut the fabric wider or smaller, depending on your chosen size.)
Using this marvelous little tool is a snap, as you can see from my pictures.



After you've cut your fabric on the bias (diagonal, across the grain, cutting a point on the end), push it through the tool's opening , then iron it as you pull it out, slowly, a little at a time. That's it! If you have steam iron, be careful! Using a pair of tongs, I grasped the purple tool and pulled that way. Next time, I'll remove the water from my iron.

Here's the package, so that you can see what to look for in your fav fabric store.

3 comments:

shanna said...

what a great trick!

Angela said...

God led me here to your blog today (July 6) as an answer to my prayer that I could find Christian friends. Thank you for being an encourager and for sharing your life. I'll be checking back frequently.
Blessings,
Angela

an encourager said...

Hi Angela,

Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another; so says Proverbs 27:17. It's neat how we all need each other! Welcome!