Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Newest Treasure

This rolling gem was doing nothing but rusting on my dad's back patio. When I asked for it, he said, "Sure, for $350!" No way!!! My begging was relentless, so he gave me this old Schwinn for free. Well, not totally free; I have to take him chorizo-and-egg burritos once a month... for the rest of his life. So, in the long haul, he just might be getting more than the original asking price!

When I pulled this out of the back of my car, my bike-riding husband just shook his head. He cannot see the beauty of this blue babe as I can. I mean, look:

Rusted though it may be, it still makes that beautiful brrrrriiiiiingggggg like I remember as a kid.

And this ol' thing has a clamp-like jaw. Nothing will escape its power; even my sewing kit is safe within its grasp!

Only one of the three speeds work, and the brakes take some getting used to, as I have to push backwards on the pedals with pure thigh power to get them to stop. But they don't really stop... just rolls slower. It's not the safest bike on the planet, but it was fun riding my bike to the mailbox and tossing all my mail in the front wire basket. Yay for me and a new treasure!

When I look at this bike I smile. I can't help it. It reminds me of my childhood, but it also brings to mind Ephesians 2:10: "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

This bike, though old and rusty and only half working, is still functional. What it was created to do, it does. This vintage treasure will roll me along to any destination I choose, providing my leg muscles can keep up with it.

No matter how old we get, no matter how rusty our joints begin to feel, no matter if we begin to only move in one slow speed, we can still function for the Lord in the good works He has prepared for us.

So... keep rolling along!

Oh, and I almost forgot! On the net I discovered that water and balled-up aluminum foil will wipe away rust that is not too penetrated. Look below to see the one spot that worked...and it only took me two minutes to rub!

1 comment:

Aimee said...

What a beautiful bike! My husband shakes his head at such bikes as well, but you and I know how wonderful they really are. How exciting for you! I also really like your thoughts about doing the Lord's work even when we are old. I expect it will be different than the work I am able to do now, but I sure look forward to it.