Sunday, July 12, 2009

Squash It Now!!!


(IMPORTANT!!! I do not control the content of the Google Ads on the left side of my blog. This morning's had one - How Jesus REALLY saves - and I clicked on it. IT IS NOT TRUTH!!! If you have any questions about it, let me know, and I'll answer from God's Word. Thanks.)

In November 2004 I came upon a Butternut Squash Soup recipe. It is probably the only squash I had never tried, but the picture in the Real Simple magazine looked so tempting, that I ventured forth where this cook had never gone before -- and have been going back to ever since! :)

First, I want you to look at this picture and see if it tempts you to attempt a go at it, too (click on the picture so you can see it up close and personal):



What do you think? Got your mouth hankering for a slurp? (P. S. YOU MUST MAKE THE CROUTONS TO GO WITH IT!!! THEY ARE BETTER THAN A CHERRY ON TOP!)

Now, here's the thing: Butternut squash is not cheap. It's not as expensive as a Mercedes or anything, but not as reasonably priced as zucchini, either. So, naturally, I decided to grow my own this year - from seed, since I could not find any Butternut plants to purchase. Look how beautiful they are!



The reason why I entitled today's blog, Squash it Now!!!, is because if you would like to eat all the Butternut Squash Soup your heart desires this fall, for practically no cost, then get your seeds planted, right away! (Same with pumpkins! Ideally, July 4th is the day to plant pumpkin seeds for October's porches to be covered with Jack-o-Lanterns.) Also, the recipe calls for sage. Buying those little packages of fresh sage leaves adds up, so I also planted a sage plant. I hope it grows up to be a bountiful adult, because right now it is being a bit of a rascal.



Anyhoo, in the meantime, till these two plants produce a succulent soup crop, I am buying Butternuts and adding them to my own garden's bounty. They brighten up and add sweetness to my roasted veggies.




All you do to make this scrumptious & healthy side dish is...

  • Preheat oven to 400.
  • Cube your veggies. I included zucchini, yellow crooked-neck, red onion, peppers, red bell peppers, and Butternut squash.
  • Drizzle olive oil over the veggies.
  • Add salt and pepper.
  • Roast, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
  • Open oven and flop veggies over.
  • Roast for another 15 minutes, till tenderly caramelized.







  • The first time I made this soup, I roasted the Butternut and yellow onion as they said. I pulled them out of the oven, and using a fork, reached down and stabbed one for a try. Ooooooo-laaaa-la! Like potato chips, I could not stop at just one! That first batch of soup almost didn't get made, because the roasted squash and onions were so sweet and yummy! So, beware! :)

And one more important thing to squash now -- feelings that rival God's truth! I know how sometimes our feelings seem more real than anything else. In times like those, it is especially important to squash them -- before they grow in magnitude and cause our faith to shrink!

Grab your Bible, open it up and read and read! Offer the sacrifice of thanksgiving, that His word is truth (John 17:17), and that our God cannot lie. He never changes! We can trust Him. If His word says it, it is truth and is real-ler than real, no matter how we may feel at the moment!

"All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal" (Psalm 119:160).

Sow, go plant seeds of faith into your circumstance and Butternut squash seeds into the ground! :)








1 comment:

Angela said...

Nourishment for the body and the spirit. Thank you so much. Can't wait to make the soup!
Blessings,