Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hannah Bo Bannah

Since my Bible doesn't give Hannah's last name, I've dubbed her Hannah Bo Bannah, in keeping with my silly mood this morning (hey, it's better than being grumpy!).

This particular last-nameless gal is on my mind because last night I was reading the first two chapters of 1 Sam, where she had said of herself, "I am a woman of sorrowful spirit..."

Okay. So far, I think we have all been in her sandals. But...here's the part that got me - "I have drunk neither wine nor intoxicating drink, but have POURED OUT MY SOUL BEFORE THE LORD." (Caps added by moi.)

Mrs. Bo Bannah didn't try to dilute her sorrow. In complete helplessness, she dropped down before her God and told Him all about it. Good idea!

Do I do this? Well, yes... eventually. Most times, though, I confess that I'm guilty of complaining or running away to the movies or shopping, trying my best to avoid the pain. What about you?

After reading Hannah's biography, I see that avoiding the pain moves us from God, not towards Him. God is an ever present help in times of trouble, but I double it outta there when trouble comes, not sit at the feet of Jesus and see what He wants to teach me through the sorrow or find comfort in His care.

And besides all that, just think of what gets delivered to us out of our sorrows! For Hannah, it was Samuel, who was used greatly as God's prophet. Jack Hayford said, "Hannah could not know that her intense intercession for a child was moving in concert with God - bringing her a son, but also bringing forth the will and blessing of God for a whole nation. As she entrusts the longings of her heart to God (I like that!), He moves on her behalf, but also advances His larger plan through her at the same time."

To think, our sorrows give birth to God's ultimate plans, for our good and for those around us. So, in these sorrows, we really can "consider it all joy." And that's not silly at all!

No comments: