Sunday, April 26, 2009

Waste Not; Help Out!


Happy Sunday!!!

I am one lucky dog because I got to spend almost this whole day doing one of the many things I love to do -- sewing!

Our church's annual missionary fundraiser, which is a tri-tip dinner and a silent auction, is coming in just a few weeks. In my email-box the other day, I got notice that they needed more donations. Well, with budgets being watched, I prayed about it. The perfect idea came (see what happens when you talk to the Lord about things?). The answer came to sew a baby blanket....

So, I went into my sewing room (which is also a jillion other things) and hunted up a pattern. I found this darling choo choo train paper-pieced pattern that I had purchased online a couple years ago. Then,I went through my drawers and boxes and pulled out all bits of fabrics and began the fun task of choosing what went together.



I found lots of scraps from last year's quilts I made my boys, so layed them out on the ironing board to see how they worked together - a perfect fit! It was so exciting to get to use what I had and not spend one single dime extra!

Paper piecing is pretty easy, and I was certain I'd have this small quilt finished in no time. However, I did not count on making sooooooo many mistakes and having to put my seam ripper to good use. Sheesh. It was a labor of love! For the missionaries it would help support, I cheerfully took out all mayhaps, and thanked the Lord.

Below is the pattern that I used. When I bought it, it was on a regular-sized paper and made a 6" square. I have no patience making squares that small. So, I hopped in my car and drove over to the reasonable-priced blueprint place and had them blow it up 400%. Ah, better - a 24" square!




















I had to cut apart each of those nine patterns, sew each one, then sew them together. Kinda fun, but it takes a little time. See? Below are the pieces coming together.... Can you tell what it will be?????? :)

And then, I kept sewing and sewing...I think I can, I think I can... and pretty soon - ta-daaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

I think that our God Jehovah does the same with us. He uses scraps of this trial and scraps of this joy and pieces them all together into quite a quilt of a life. His stitches are perfect, though sometimes painful when we're poked. But it's only for our good. What He purposes to sew is something for our good, other's good, and His glory! Isn't that nice?????

"For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:6). He never quits on us, until He can display the finished product in heaven!!!!

3 comments:

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

Great job, Liz!!

Anonymous said...

That is such a cute quilt! Love it!

an encourager said...

Thanks!!! :) I had so much fun making it. It's hard to quit staring at it. lol