Do you know what I am talking about???
It's a good thing to work like Martha, but a totally needful thing to choose to sit at the feet of Jesus and learn and get refreshed.
"'Martha, Martha,' the Lord answered,
'you are worried and upset about many things,
but only one thing is needed.
Mary has chosen what is better,
and it will not be taken away from her.'"
--- Luke 10:38-41.
I don't know about you, but I find it difficult to plop down and sit still when I have a looming list following me like a dark shadow. My brain rebels at the very thought of sitting still. How does this happen?!
These thoughts had been on my mind all week; there just wasn't time to type them out to you. Sad!
Anyhoo, right before Superman and I took off for the night, I got a box in the mail from Zondervan. You know I love surprises, so I figured they grabbed my name from the Thomas Nelson list of book reviewers (I could tell by the size of the package that it had to be a book), perhaps wanting to entice me to join their list (if they even have one).
Ripping it open with my bare hands (and scissors... hey, hands hold the scissors!) I gasped when I saw the leatherish (they call it "Italian Duo-Tone", whatever that means. It feels like soft leather to me, so that's good enough!) pink-and-hot pink cover. Yay! I love pink, don't you!?
At my desk, I stood there debating which Bible to take along - this new one or my beloved one I use, with all my notes and underlinings in it? The final choice came down to weight. Since I would be lugging a bag around with magazines, books, pen, stationary, and Bible, I opted for the new, lighter one. Good choice!
Blogging about it in conjunction with the "minutes are not my own" post was not in my thinking. And then, as I turned the pages of this Busy Mom's Bible, I saw how perfect it was for this time in my life -- and my kids are grown!
You know what it reminds me of? Two things: When I was nursing Noah, my firstborn, I had the same not enough minutes thing going on. I loved nursing him, but, boy, my mind would race... until, he and I sat in the rocker, gently swaying back and forth, and relaxation swept over both of us. Then, I wouldn't want to get out of the chair and get moving again! This Bible has the same effect.
The other thing it reminds me of is exercising. Don't wanna do it. Put it off. But when I tell myself, just do 10 measley minutes, it's more likely I'll lug myself to the gym. Once moving, I usually do more than ten. This Bible reminds me of an igniter, once it lights you up to read, you get a burning passion to read more!
So, here are some things I love about this Bible...
- The color and feel of it. They might have other color schemes, but not sure. Rather or not it's leather, it just feels soft and yummy!
- There are no cross references. Normally, these are a must-have for me; I use them and like them. So, at first, I was disappointed not to find any. But then, as I read, I felt myself relaxing into the simplicity of just reading what was on the page. My shoulders eased away from my ears as tensions took a nap.It was freeing, since they weren't distracting me from the plain and powerful verses I was reading. I'm surprised at this discovery!
- The colorful pages like this, that give you subjects, like "STILLNESS" and offers you 1-minute, 5-minutes, or 10-minute readings or questions to ponder (with Scripture references and the page you will find them on in this Bible. Handy!)
- A list (not a to-do) with different 5-minute readings you can do, about Jesus or the Women of the Bible.
- The 10-Minutes Study Guide, with the additional 5-minutes "Reflect & Pray". (Hey, it's better than none!)
6. For me, an alphabetical word concordance is a must! Theirs is very nice.
7. One thing I really like, and am thinking about going through one at a time, from beginning to end, is the wonderful 10-minutes Study Index. Had I snapped a picture of the first ones, you would have seen that I will be starting with "God is..."; taking me through 29 truths about God; such as: Coming Again, In Control, Good, Water... and more! Can't wait! (See what I mean about it being an ignitor!!!)
8. Maps are important!
9. I just like how it has me gung-ho for spending time in the Word; this Bible is God's answer to my prayer to fall in love with the Word all over again! Yay & thank You, Lord (and Zondervan, His vessel to deliver His answer)! "God loves to give good gifts in response to prayer...Matthew 7:7-11" --- from the Study Guide under 'prayer'. And some just happen to be PINK!!!